Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Evidence That I Was A Believer

Yep, that's me back in 2001, when Cara was pregnant with Andrew (who is now five years old), wearing a "Jesus is Lord" shirt without irony or sarcasm. I thought this would be fun to post, just as evidence that I used to believe passionately in God and Jesus. For people who knew me back then, this is not surprising, but others may be thrown off. I was reminded of this since my shirt matches the title of my pastor's most recent sermon, "Jesus is Lord."

It is now rather difficult for me to comprehend the way I used to look at the world. Part of the reason I still go to church is to be reminded that I too was once a believer, and that I shouldn't look down on anyone else for being a person of faith. When you tell people that you used to believe, they will often dismissively state that you didn't really believe to begin with (how could you, after all, if you left the church?). I can't really argue with that, except to say I'm pretty sure that I did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a really nice post. I am an agnostic x-catholic and have a hard time with many of the skeptic/anti-religion blogs as they come off as so condescending. Life is a series of contingencies and if a few events did not occur for me I very well may have never challenged my own religious beliefs. I try to keep this in mind when talking with those who do not think like I do. We all should.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I remember those days. Don't you just love change?

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

FOUR!! blogs (outta 16) which tell of the exxxcitement of Heaven; we ROTE ‘{theeyebeam}’ to show how corrupt this world has become, yet, this is a true story about sex in Heaven after we croak. C'mon, people. The Liar's a deceiver: ain't no sex in Hell, yet, puh-lenty of sex Upstairs for eternity. God bless you. Meet me Upstairs.